February 8, 2019
Chocolate is for many a treat and for others an essential part of their diet. On the trail, it is definitely a food that brings people together. It can also bring motivation or courage: I remember a guide feeding us chocolate before crossing a glacier fed river or when hours of hiking under cold rain was still needed. When it comes to its nutritional value cocoa contains epicatechin, an antioxidant, for which preliminary research suggests benefits for exercise performance. So really, all reasons are good to have chocolate on the trail!
Note: This post contains affiliate links. You can read my disclosure here.
Get the good stuff
There is a ton of different chocolate products out there. I prefer to use a dark chocolate or a quality milk chocolate. Look for local chocolate factories or otherwise, consider getting a high-quality product like Lindt Chocolate.
Planning to hike in hot weather? Good quality chocolate will melt fast and make a mess in your bag! I prefer to incorporate cocoa powder or roasted cocoa nibs in recipes to get my chocolate dose in hot weather.
Chocolate for breakfast? Oh Yeah!
Why limiting chocolate to snacks or desserts, when you can have some for breakfast? Here are some ideas to incorporate chocolate in your breakfasts for sweet mornings.
- Make chocolate pancakes by replacing blueberries by chocolate chips in this blueberry pancakes with maple syrup recipe.
- Add cocoa powder, cocoa nibs or chocolate chips to your oatmeal like in these recipes: choco-banana oatmeal, raspberry and cocoa nibs oatmeal and strawberry extra-chocolate oatmeal.
- Have some chocolate granola on-the-go.
Snack on chocolate
- Choco-Mint Energy Balls will remind you of the mint flavored chocolates.
- Macadamis Nuts, Raspberries and White Chocolate Goodness for a white chocolate variation!
- Mocha Energy Bar and Mocha Energy Balls combine coffee and chocolate for an energizing combo!
- Orange, Dark Chocolate and Sweet Potato Muffins
Don’t forget dessert!
There is nothing like ending a backpacking day with a rich and satisfying dessert. And with chocolate, it is even better!
- Try this easy to make chocolate and raspberries dirt pudding.
- Warm up and rehydrate you with this homemade hot chocolate
Sweet teeth, enjoy!
By Gen Masson, MSc, RD, CD