Perfect bars to fuel your winter adventures! They stay soft even at freezing temperature, which make them easy to eat during a snowy day. Their subtle coffee aroma along with powerful chocolate flavors will make you wish you brought more of these bars with you! Please note, there is about 20mg of caffeine per bar, which is the equivalent of about ¼ of a cup of brewed coffee.
- 1 ½ cup (375 ml) pitted dates, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) instant coffee
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 cup (250 ml) quick oats
- ½ cup (125 ml) whole wheat flour
- ½ cup (125 ml) skim milk powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) sweetened shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) cocoa powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) unsalted butter
- Combine the dates and water in a small pot.
- Bring to boil and let simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add the instant coffee and stir well.
- In a large bowl, mix the baking powder, oats, whole wheat flour, skim milk powder, sweetened shredded coconut, cocoa powder, salt and ⅓ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Add the date mix and stir well.
- Oil a 9x13” rectangular pan and spread the dough in it.
- Bake for 40 minutes in a preheated oven at 350F (175C).
- Let it cool for at least 1 hour.
- Combine ⅓ cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and butter in a small bowl.
- Use the microwave to melt it and mix.
- Spread this chocolate mix on top of the cooked dough. Cut into 12 pieces and enjoy!
For better conservation, wrap the bars individually and freeze them.