August 29, 2017
No time to dehydrate all of your food before your next backpacking trip? No need to order online a bunch of different (and expensive) freeze-dried foods! It can be easy to make tasty and nutritious meals from ingredients available at your grocery store. Here is an example:
- Cranberry, Orange, Dark Chocolate and Sweet potato muffins Muffins
- Coffee latte and a piece of fruit to eat in the car while driving to the trailhead
- Your favorite turkey and swiss cheese sandwich prepared at home
- Smoked salmon Pasta, chocolate covered almonds
- Soup (made using a dry soup mix). If it is a cold day, you will appreciate this meal!
- Cheese stick
- Chocolate granola with powdered milk and dried cranberries. Only need to mix cold water and eat. Perfect if you have a long day of hiking and want an early start.
- Seasoned tuna in a foil package with a tortilla
- Stop at a restaurant on your drive back!
Don’t forget the snacks!
Many snacks can be purchased at the store, which save you time. Here are some ideas:
- Mixed nuts
- Trail mix
- Granola bars
- Dried fruits
- Fruit leathers
For more backpacking food ideas available at your local grocery store, consult this blog post. Feel free to share your ideas in the comment section.
By Gen Masson, MSc, RD, CD