Super easy recipe to cook in the outdoor that will remember you of India, wherever you are in the world! Everything can be cooked in a single pot! The high fibre (13 g/serving) and protein (23 g/serving) contents will prevent hunger from coming back too soon. Rich in carbohydrates, this meal will provide the fuel necessary to climb the highest peaks! What else can you ask for? Yummy taste? Yes, this is included too!
Note: This recipe contains affiliate links. You can read my disclosure here.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) olive or canola oil
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) dried chives or onions
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) turmeric
- ½ tsp (2 ml) fennel seeds
- ½ cup (120 ml) red lentils (also called “coral lentils)
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) basmati rice
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dried tomatoes
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) dried carrots
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) coriander seeds, grounded
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) cardamom, grounded
- ½ tsp (2 ml) cumin
- 4 tsp (20 ml) chicken broth powder
- 1 can (14 oz or 400 ml) coconut milk*
*For lightweight recipe, substitute by coconut milk powder. It can be found in most Asian grocery stores.
- Stove + fuel
- Pot large enough for 2 liters (8 cups)
- Wooden spoon to mix
- Can opener
- Bowls to eat (you could always eat directly in the pot, no judgement here!)
- sporks or spoon
- Put oil in watertight container.
- Mix dried chives, curry powder, turmeric and fennel seeds in a bag (bag #1).
- In a second bag, mix all the other ingredients (bag #2), except for coconut milk.
- Write recipe instructions on bags.
- Mix oil and content of bag #1 in a pot.
- Heat and mix for about 1 minute. Do not burn the spices!
- Add 3 cups (750 ml) of water and content of bag #2.
- Bring to boil and let simmer for about 30 minutes or until lentils and rice are cooked.
- Add coconut milk. If you are using dried coconut milk, follow instructions on package for added water needed.
- Mix well and enjoy!