These delicious muffins are a good option for breakfast-on-the-go when driving to the mountains early in the morning. Bring a fruit and a portion of milk or drinkable yogurt for a more complete breakfast!
Alternatively, these muffins can be a good snack for a low-intensity training.
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut in medium pieces
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) oats bran (taste more delicate than wheat bran but still high in fiber)
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) of orange zest (about 1 orange, I use organic oranges)
- ½ cup (125 ml) dried cranberries
- ½ cup (125 ml) dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup (125 ml) brown sugar
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) vegetable oil (I used canola oil)
- ½ cup (125 ml) orange juice
- Put the sweet potato in a microwave safe dish and cover.
- Cook the sweet potato in microwave until it is soft enough to make a puree.
- Puree the sweet potato.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, oats bran, orange zest, dried cranberries, dark chocolate chips, brown sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the pureed sweet potato, egg, oil and orange juice and mix. 1. Spoon into muffin cups and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350F (175C).
These muffins can be frozen individually. They will be ready to go for your next adventure!