If you went apple picking and you want to use these apples to fuel your next outdoor adventure, this recipe is for you! These muffins are dense enough to keep their shape if stored at the bottom of your backpack but still very moist.
- ½ cup (125 ml) brown sugar
- 1 cup (250 ml) old-fashioned oatmeal
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) oats bran (taste more delicate than wheat bran but still high in fiber)
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) cinnamon
- 2 tsp. (10 ml) baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 cups (500 ml) apple, unpeeled and shredded
- ¾ cup (180 ml) dried cranberries
- ½ cup (125 ml) chopped pecans, divided in 2
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
- ½ cup (125 ml) low-fat milk
- In a large bowl, mix the brown sugar, oatmeal, flour, oats bran, cinnamon, baking powder and salt.
- Add the apple, dried cranberries and half of the pecans. Make sure it is well mixed.
- In a smaller bowl, mix all the liquid ingredients.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ones.
- Spoon into muffin cups.
- Sprinkle the remaining pecans on top of the muffins.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes at 350F (175C).
These muffins keep well for at least 5 days at room temperature. They can also be frozen individually for an easy snack for your next adventure!