Rice for breakfast? Why not? This creamy and slightly sweetened rice pudding recipe is perfect for cold mornings in the backcountry. Complete this breakfast with a homemade hot chocolate or latte to boost the protein and calorie count.
Note: This recipe contains affiliate links. You can read my disclosure here.
- ¾ cup (175 ml) basmati or other long grain rice
- ½ cup (125 ml) unsweetened dried mangoes*
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) white sugar*
- 1 pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup (160 ml) skim milk powder
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) coconut milk powder
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) unsweetened coconut chips
- Stove + fuel
- Pot large enough for 1 liters (4 cups)
- Wooden spoon to mix
- Bowl to eat (you could always eat directly in the pot, no judgement here!)
- Spork or fork!
- Mix in plastic bag #1: rice, dried mangoes, sugar and salt.
- Mix in plastic bag #2: skim milk powder, coconut milk powder and coconut chips.
- Bring 2½ cups (625 ml) of water to boil with the content of bag #1.
- When the water reaches the boiling point, reduce the heat and let simmer until the rice is fully cooked. Remove from heat.
- Add the content of bag #2.
- Mix well.