This recipe is perfect for overnight backpacking trips or when weight and space in your backpacks are not issues.
- 2 tbsp. (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 packages of cooked chicken sausages (12 oz or 340g each)*
- 2 cups (500 ml) dry orzo
- ⅔ cup (150 ml) dried vegetables (I used a mix)
- 1 tsp. (10 ml) dried oregano leaves
- 4.5 oz (127 g) double-concentrated tomato paste.
*If you are worried about food safety, you can freeze the sausages prior to your trip and pack them frozen. They will easily stay fresh until the first night.
- Stove + fuel
- Pot large enough for 2 liters (8 cups)
- Lightweight pan
- Wooden spoon to mix
- Knife or penknife
- Bowls to eat (you could always eat directly in the pot, no judgement here!)
- Sporks or forks!
- Put olive oil in leakproof container.
- Mix in a plastic bag : orzo, dried vegetables and oregano leaves.
- Cut sausages in cubes.
- Stir-fry the sausages in the pan with the olive oil until nicely colored.
- Bring 1.25 L (5 cups) to boil in the pot.
- Add the content of the plastic bag.
- Cook until orzo is al dente.
- Add the tomato paste and sausages.
- Mix well and enjoy!