You will start to enjoy this dish before even eating it. Just the smell that comes from the pot while cooking is enough to boost your appetite! Make it vegan by using a vegetable broth instead or add calories by incorporating canola oil.
Note: This recipe contains affiliate links. You can read my disclosure here.
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) basmati rice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dried onion flakes
- ¼ cup (60 ml) freeze dried green peas
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) dehydrated fast cooking chickpeas
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) coriander seeds, grounded
- 1½ tsp (7.5 ml) garam masala powder
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) cumin
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chicken broth powder
- 1 pinch of fennel seeds
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste*
*I used a pre-portioned package as featured in this product review for convenience
- Stove + fuel
- Pot large enough for 2 liters (8 cups)
- Wooden spoon to mix
- Can opener
- Bowls to eat (you could always eat directly in the pot, no judgement here!)
- sporks or spoon
- Mix all the ingredients, except tomato paste in a bag.
- Write recipe instructions on bag.
- In the pot, mix 1 3⁄4 cup (425 ml) of water with the content of the bag.
- Bring to boil and let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked.
- Add tomato paste.
- Mix well and enjoy!