This stew is inspired by chili sin carne recipes. The black bean pasta replace beautifully beans and provide a great deal of protein and fiber to this meal. Try adding Pepper Jack Moon Cheese when serving for an extra crunchy touch and some more protein. If the long spices list is a concern for you, you can always consider using pre-mixed chili spices.
Note: This recipe contains affiliate links. You can read my disclosure here.
- 1 ½ cup (375 ml) black bean pasta (I used Black Bean Rotini by Trader Joe’s)
- ¾ cup (175 ml) freeze dried corn
- ½ cup (125 ml) dried tomatoes
- ⅓ cup (80 ml) dried carrots
- 4 tsp (20 ml) chicken broth powder*
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
- 2 tsp (10 ml) onion powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) garlic powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) coriander seeds, grounded
- ½ tsp (2 ml) cumin, grounded
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste**
- 2 6-inch (15 cm) tortillas
*Want to make it vegan? Substitute chicken broth by vegetable broth.
**I used a pre-portioned package as featured in this product review for convenience
- Stove + fuel
- Pot large enough for 2 liters (8 cups)
- Wooden spoon to mix
- Bowls to eat (you could always eat directly in the pot, no judgement here!)
- Sporks or spoon
- Combine all the ingredients except the tomato paste and tortillas in a bag.
- Pack these 2 other ingredients separately.
- Bring to boil 4 cups (1L) of water.
- Add content of the bag.
- Let simmer for about 8-10 minutes or until pasta are cooked.
- Add the tomato paste and mix well.
- Serve with a tortilla on the side. Enjoy!